Pixies Grow 'Minotaur'
Jun 16, 2009
Rabid Pixies fan should now be positively frothing with the announcement that Minotaur, the definitive Pixies’ collector’s set, has gotten even bigger. The heavyweight piece of Pixies extreme memorabilia will be available in as a limited edition, with only 3000 copies available worldwide, or a deluxe edition. The former is housed in a custom clamshell container that weighs in at 25-pounds and contains so much newly announced goodness that it's best to use a list:
The limited-edition sets include:
• Blu-ray and DVD discs mastered for 5.1 audio surround sound at 24/192 and 24/96, respectively and two-channel stereo
• Five 12-inch albums cut from the original analog tapes and pressed on 180-gram virgin vinyl
• A faux fur hardcover 96-page fine art book featuring the artwork of Vaughan Oliver, the graphic designer who created the artwork for all of the Pixies' studio albums) and photographer Simon Larbalestier, the photographer for all of the band's original albums
• Two frameable 48-inch x 36-inch double-sided, fold-out, four-color wall posters
• A 54-page book of new art created by Oliver
• A 22-inch x 14-inch frameable Giclee print of a photo taken exclusively for Minotaur by Larbalestier
The deluxe-edition sets include:
• All five of the Pixies' studio albums on 24k gold-plated CDs and DVD and Blu-ray discs
• A DVD and Blu-ray of the band's previously unreleased 1991 performance at London's Brixton Academy and all of the group's videos
Just when you thought there was nothing left to give, all 3000 copies of the limited-edition sets will be individually numbered and hand-signed by all four members of the Pixies and Vaughan Oliver. The Minotaur Deluxe Edition will retail for $175, while the Minotaur Limited Edition is $495. The collections will be shipped sometime between late-September and mid-October.
Pre-orders start today at www.ainr.com.